Blog

  • Maternal Anemia as a Predictor of Anemia in the Child in Nepal: An Analysis of the Demographic and Health Survey

    Maternal Anemia as a Predictor of Anemia in the Child in Nepal: An Analysis of the Demographic and Health Survey


    Continue Reading

  • ‘FUBAR’ Canceled at Netflix After Two Seasons

    ‘FUBAR’ Canceled at Netflix After Two Seasons

    FUBAR has been canceled after two seasons, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. 

    News of the show’s cancellation arrived Friday night after its streaming ratings notably declined between season premieres. After debuting on Netflix at No.1 on Nielsen’s streaming charts during its premiere week two years ago in May 22-28 with 1.53 billion minutes of viewing, season two accumulated 412 million viewing minutes this year during the week of June 9-15. 

    In total, FUBAR’s minutes of viewing declined by 73 percent from season one to two. During its premiere week, the series landed at No. 8 among Netflix’s original shows for its second season.

    The action comedy starred Arnold Schwarzenegger and Oscar nominee Monica Barbaro, who portray a father-daughter spy duo. Season two saw the addition of Carrie-Anne Moss, who plays a former fling of Schwarzenegger’s Luke Brunner. The cast also included Milan Carter, Fortune Feimster, Travis Van Winkle, Fabiana Udenio, Aparna Brielle, Guy Burnet, Andy Buckley, Jay Baruchel, Barbara Eve Harris and Scott Thompson. 

    The official logline for season two reads, “Luke Brunner (Schwarzenegger) is a veteran CIA operative who, up until recently, was on the verge of retirement. After his last mission in saving another operative — who just so happened to be his daughter (Barbaro) — he’s back and face to face with new villains. This one is an old flame from Luke’s past (Moss) who threatens to destroy the world … if she doesn’t destroy his life first.” 

    Of joining FUBAR during season two, Moss told THR that “getting to work with Arnold was epic for me.” 

    “I don’t know if I’ve ever had more fun on a job working with Arnold and doing the dance stuff and the fight stuff and then all the acting, and then the sitting between takes and talking about all kinds of things,” she added. “I loved every minute of it.”

    Continue Reading

  • Fritz downs Diallo in Toronto, no repeat of Wimbledon drama – ATP Tour

    1. Fritz downs Diallo in Toronto, no repeat of Wimbledon drama  ATP Tour
    2. National Bank Open: Canada’s Diallo facing down career-defining win  Sportsnet.ca
    3. ATP Toronto Best Bets Including Fritz vs Diallo  Last Word On Sports
    4. Gabriel Diallo vs. Taylor Fritz: Predictions, How to Watch  Globely News
    5. Diallo Looks to Upset Fritz in Toronto; Osaka Takes on Ostapenko in Montreal  Tennis Connected

    Continue Reading

  • Zamir said to urge ministers to present strategy on how they want IDF to proceed in Gaza

    Zamir said to urge ministers to present strategy on how they want IDF to proceed in Gaza

    IDF Chief Lt. Gen. Eyal Zamir pleaded with cabinet ministers during a meeting this week to present a strategy for how they want the army to proceed amid the standstill in hostage talks, Channel 12 news reported Friday, highlighting the government’s lack of a clear game plan, as Jerusalem’s diplomatic standing plummets due to the humanitarian crisis in Gaza.

    Israel has reportedly considered annexing parts of Gaza in an attempt to pressure Hamas to release hostages, but no decision has been made yet. Strategy was discussed during US Special Envoy Steve Witkoff’s meetings in Jerusalem on Thursday.

    Visiting troops in the Gaza Strip, Zamir said he assessed “that in the coming days we will know whether we will be able to reach a partial deal to release our hostages.”

    “If not, the fighting will continue unabated,” Zamir added.

    Hostage talks have been at an impasse since last week when Israel and the US pulled their negotiators from Doha due to frustration with Hamas’s response to the latest proposal for a partial hostage deal.

    Arab mediators have told The Times of Israel that while Hamas’s response slowed progress that had been made, the gaps are still bridgeable.

    A senior Israeli official familiar with the talks told The Times of Israel on Friday that if Israel and the US abandon their efforts to reach the phased hostages deal that they’ve been negotiating for months with Hamas, it will take “a long time” to reach an understanding on a comprehensive deal to release all of the hostages in exchange for ending the war.

    Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, right, meets with US Special Envoy Steve Witkoff at his office in Jerusalem on July 31, 2025. (Kobi Gideon/GPO)

    An Israeli source quoted Friday by the Haaretz daily expressed deep pessimism about the prospects for a broader agreement, saying there was little chance Hamas would accept Israel’s conditions for ending the war.

    The deal currently on the table would only see the release of 28 of the 50 hostages during the two-month truce under discussion. The remainder would only be released if Israel and Hamas reach an agreement during those 60 days on terms for a permanent ceasefire.

    However, after Witkoff’s meetings Thursday, a senior Israeli official told reporters that Israel and the United States are now aligned on aiming for a comprehensive framework in place of another partial ceasefire and hostage-release deal.

    “There will be no more partial deals,” the official was quoted as saying, explaining that Israel and the US now concur on the need to “shift from a framework for the release of some of the hostages to a framework for the release of all of the hostages, the disarmament of Hamas and the demilitarization of the Gaza Strip.”

    “At the same time,” the source was quoted as saying, “Israel and the US will work to increase the humanitarian aid, while continuing the fighting in Gaza.”

    If actualized, the new stance would mark a major shift for Israel, which came up with the phased hostage deal framework during the first year of the war, as it enabled Israel to secure the release of some of its hostages, while maintaining the ability to resume the war — something Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu needed to maintain his coalition, as far-right partners threatened to collapse the government if Israel agreed to a permanent ceasefire.

    Hamas, for its part, has offered the release of all remaining hostages in exchange for an end to the war, while rejecting calls to disarm. Netanyahu has also argued that prematurely ending the war would leave Hamas in power and able to regroup.

    Families and supporters of Israelis held hostage in Gaza since October 2023, hold a protest calling for action to secure their release outside the prime minister’s office in Jerusalem on July 31, 2025. (Menahem KAHANA / AFP)

    According to the senior Israeli official briefing reporters, there has been a “breakdown in contacts” with Hamas negotiators. “Hamas has cut off communication… There is no one to talk to on the other side. This is also Witkoff’s understanding.”

    The official also noted that Jerusalem and Washington will work to increase humanitarian assistance while continuing the fighting in Gaza, where Witkoff visited Friday amid growing international concern and criticism regarding the current US- and Israel-backed aid distribution system.

    Terror groups in the Gaza Strip are holding 50 hostages, including 49 of the 251 abducted by Hamas-led terrorists on October 7, 2023. They include the bodies of at least 28 confirmed dead by the IDF. Twenty are believed to be alive and there are grave concerns for the well-being of two others, Israeli officials have said. Hamas is also holding the body of an IDF soldier killed in Gaza in 2014.


    Is The Times of Israel important to you?

    If so, we have a request. 

    Every day, even during war, our journalists keep you abreast of the most important developments that merit your attention. Millions of people rely on ToI for fast, fair and free coverage of Israel and the Jewish world. 

    We care about Israel – and we know you do too. So today, we have an ask: show your appreciation for our work by joining The Times of Israel Community, an exclusive group for readers like you who appreciate and financially support our work. 


    Yes, I’ll give


    Yes, I’ll give

    Already a member? Sign in to stop seeing this


    You appreciate our journalism

    You clearly find our careful reporting valuable, in a time when facts are often distorted and news coverage often lacks context.

    Your support is essential to continue our work. We want to continue delivering the professional journalism you value, even as the demands on our newsroom have grown dramatically since October 7.

    So today, please consider joining our reader support group, The Times of Israel Community. For as little as $6 a month you’ll become our partners while enjoying The Times of Israel AD-FREE, as well as accessing exclusive content available only to Times of Israel Community members.

    Thank you,
    David Horovitz, Founding Editor of The Times of Israel


    Join Our Community


    Join Our Community

    Already a member? Sign in to stop seeing this


    Continue Reading

  • Trump says he repositioned nuclear subs in veiled threat to Russia – The Washington Post

    1. Trump says he repositioned nuclear subs in veiled threat to Russia  The Washington Post
    2. Trump moves nuclear submarines after Russian ex-president’s comments  BBC
    3. Trump orders nuclear submarines to reposition amid war of words with Russia  Al Jazeera
    4. Medvedev reminds Trump of Russia’s Doomsday nuclear strike capabilities as war of words escalates  Reuters
    5. Trump moves nuclear submarines after ex-Russia president’s menacing tweet  The Guardian

    Continue Reading

  • Meta to sell $2b data center assets for AI partnerships – Tech in Asia

    1. Meta to sell $2b data center assets for AI partnerships  Tech in Asia
    2. Meta CFO Susan Li Says Company May Tap External Financing For 2026 AI Infrastructure As CapEx Heads Toward $100 Billion  Benzinga
    3. Meta Platforms to Share AI Infrastructure Costs Through Partnerships – News and Statistics  IndexBox
    4. Meta to offload $2 billion in data centre assets to fund AI infrastructure costs  WION
    5. Meta Eyes AI Growth, Plans $2B Data Center Sale to Outside Developers  CoinCentral

    Continue Reading

  • Power grid construction firms assess impacts from US tariffs on copper – S&P Global

    Power grid construction firms assess impacts from US tariffs on copper – S&P Global

    1. Power grid construction firms assess impacts from US tariffs on copper  S&P Global
    2. ADJUSTING IMPORTS OF COPPER INTO THE UNITED STATES  The White House (.gov)
    3. Options Corner: Why Trump’s Policy Backflip Gifts A Discount For Southern Copper  inkl
    4. A blitz of levy announcements issued  China Daily – Global Edition
    5. South Korea copper exports to US expected to fall due to tariffs, trade ministry says  TradingView

    Continue Reading

  • How traditional Chinese medicine can help you lose weight, from acupuncture to cupping

    How traditional Chinese medicine can help you lose weight, from acupuncture to cupping

    When Huang Yu needed to lose weight urgently for medical reasons, she turned to traditional Chinese medicine (TCM). With it, she lost five kilograms (11 pounds) over three months, and she has kept it off since.

    In January 2024, the 21-year-old from Shanghai, who is studying at a university in Hong Kong, learned she had a tumour on her uterus. This slowed her metabolism, and she eventually tipped the scales at 75kg.

    If she did not lose weight, her Western doctor told her, the condition would be difficult to treat. He prescribed medication with hormones that helped boost her metabolism, but it left her feeling weak as she started having heavier menstrual periods.

    “I had to spare no effort trying different weight-loss methods,” Huang said.

    Traditional Chinese medicine can complement Western treatments to help an overweight patient lose weight. Photo: Shutterstock
    She first tried intermittent fasting, slowly narrowing the window of time in which she ate during the day. However, she did not lose much weight this way, and fasting left her feeling woozy, especially after her physical education classes at school.
    Last summer, she sought help from a TCM practitioner, who gave her weekly acupuncture – the insertion of thin needles into specific points on the body to stimulate the flow of qi, or energy, and promote healing; cupping – placing cups on the body to draw blood to the surface, stimulating blood flow and potentially releasing muscle tension; and gua sha – scraping the skin with a smooth-edged tool to remove energy blockages and increase blood flow.

    Continue Reading

  • Michael Jackson’s dirty sock sells for over $8K

    Michael Jackson’s dirty sock sells for over $8K

    A single glittery sock that late pop superstar Michael Jackson wore during a concert in France in the 1990s sold for more than $8,000 on Wednesday, a French auctioneer said.

    A technician found the used sock discarded near Jackson’s dressing room after the concert in the southern city of Nimes in July 1997, auctioneer Aurore Illy told AFP. It was carefully preserved for 28 years in a frame before going up for sale.

    The self-styled “King of Pop” wore white athletic socks adorned with rhinestones during his HIStory World Tour in 1997, according to specialist website interencheres.com.

    Jackson can be seen wearing them in clips of him performing his hit Billie Jean.

    Decades later, the off-white item of clothing is covered in stains, and the rhinestones adorning it have yellowed with age, in a picture posted on the website.

    “It really is an exceptional object – even a cult one for Michael Jackson fans,” Illy said.

    The sock, initially valued at 3,000 to 4,000 euros ($3,400-4,500), sold for 7,688 euros ($8,822) at the Nimes auction house. This is not the first time Jackson’s clothing – particularly items worn during his performances and music videos – has been sold for vast sums. A Macau gaming resort in 2009 paid $350,000 for a glittery glove Jackson wore when he performed his first “moonwalk” dance in 1983.

    In addition, a hat he wore just before that performance sold for more than $80,000 in Paris in 2023. The same year, a leather jacket worn by the singer in a Pepsi ad from 1984 sold for over $300,000.

    Jackson died of a fatal overdose in 2009 aged 50. He still has a huge fan base, despite child molestation accusations against him during his lifetime and after his death, which he and his estate have denied.

    Continue Reading

  • ‘Wednesday’ promises ‘bigger and better’ Addams family

    ‘Wednesday’ promises ‘bigger and better’ Addams family


    LONDON:

    Hit Netflix series Wednesday expands the Addams Family world as it returns to screens nearly three years after the show launched in November 2022.

    Season Two of the dark fantasy series premiered at London’s Westminster on Wednesday, with its cast and creators walking a purple carpet outside Central Hall and Queen Elizabeth II Centre.

    Wednesday Season Two will be released in two four-episode instalments, with Part One dropping August 6 and Part Two out on September 3.

    The new season sees Wednesday Addams, played by Jenna Ortega, returning to Nevermore Academy as a celebrated hero, much to her dismay. The tetchy teen puts her detective hat back on to solve new supernatural mysteries, while dealing with glitches in her psychic powers.

    Wednesday also faces another nuisance – family. Her little brother Pugsley, played by Isaac Ordonez, starts his studies at Nevermore and their parents are a frequent presence on campus.

    “She’s kind of knocked off her feet this season. So it’s a lot of pressure,” said Ortega.

    The series’ creators and showrunners Alfred Gough and Miles Millar said Wednesday returns “bigger and better”.

    “There’s more of the Addams Family this season,” said Gough. “We learn more about the characters you got to meet in Season One and they have their own storylines.”

    The sophomore season also introduces new characters, including Steve Buscemi’s Nevermore principal Barry Dort and the Addams family matriarch Grandmama Hester Frump, played by Joanna Lumley. Pop star Lady Gaga makes a guest star appearance as a teacher in Part 2.

    Mother-daughter dynamics are at the heart of the new season, said Millar.

    “It’s about mothers and daughters, it’s three generations of Addams women together. It’s also about learning to not be in control of everything, for Wednesday. And it’s really always about female friendship and female sisterhood,” he said.

    Ortega, 22, also executive produced the new season. Rather than control, it gave her “freedom” she said.

    “She’s kind of our cast spokesperson. Any time I felt like something needed to be said or if I had any ideas, she was always like, ‘come to me and we’ll make it work’. She just looks out for us,” Emma Myers, who plays Wednesday’s roommate Enid Sinclair, said.

    Filmmaker Tim Burton also returns as one of the directors and executive producers.

    Continue Reading