Author: admin

  • Errani and Vavassori win revamped U.S. Open mixed doubles to defend their title

    Errani and Vavassori win revamped U.S. Open mixed doubles to defend their title

    Sara Errani and Andrea Vavassori weren’t even sure they would get to defend their U.S. Open mixed doubles title. Organizers revamped the tournament because they wanted singles superstars, not doubles specialists.

    They not only made it back to New York, they made it back to the top.

    The Italians beat No. 3 seeds Iga Swiatek and Casper Ruud 6-3, 5-7 (10-6) on Wednesday night, winning four matches over two days to earn $1 million— a huge raise over their earnings in New York last year in a format that looked nothing like this one.

    Errani and Vavassori were among the many critics of the changes to the event that shut out every other traditional doubles pairing, but had nothing but smiles — and plenty of hugs — after building a quick lead in the match tiebreaker and holding on in front of a large crowd inside Arthur Ashe Stadium.

    “I think it was important for us to play,” Vavassori said. “Like, I have to say the initiative was also important because it was really a statement that doubles can become something better. The stadium was packed. The people were enjoying it. If something doesn’t work — like, we showed today that it’s working. Like, the people were going crazy.”

    It was a setting rarely enjoyed by doubles players and what U.S. Open organizers sought when they overhauled their tournament, moving it to well before singles play starts Sunday in hopes that tennis’ best-known players would play.

    Many of them did. But in the end, the event belonged to the doubles duo.

    Eight teams in the 16-team field qualified by their players’ combined singles rankings, with the remaining teams given wild cards. Errani doubted the Italians were going to get one.

    They eventually did and became the first repeat mixed doubles champions in Flushing Meadows since Bethanie Mattek-Sands and Jamie Murray in 2018-19. Both repeatedly said they were representing the many doubles players who never had the chance to come to New York with them this year.

    “I think this one is also for them,” Errani said.

    The event drew past U.S. Open singles champions Carlos Alcaraz, Emma Raducanu, Novak Djokovic, Naomi Osaka and Daniil Medvedev, all of whom lost on the first day. Even without them, almost all the seats were full for the three matches Wednesday night in Arthur Ashe Stadium, with the roof closed after it rained most of the afternoon.

    Ruud acknowledged that the U.S. Tennis Association took a bold risk with its changes, with critics saying it turned the championship, with shortened sets to 4 games in the first three rounds, into a glorified exhibition, rather than the two-week, 32-event of the past. But even players who specialize in doubles agreed that the event got way more attention than they are accustomed to.

    “Any time you get a full crowd like this, how can we keep that going?” Christian Harrison said after he and Danielle Collins lost 4-2, 4-2 to Errani and Vavassori in the semis. “I mean, unreal night. I won’t forget this night.”

    Swiatek and Ruud edged the top-seeded team of Jessica Pegula and Jack Draper 3-5, 5-3 (10-8) in the other semifinal, battling back from an 8-4 deficit in the match tiebreaker.

    The No. 2-ranked Swiatek, a six-time Grand Slam singles champion, and Ruud, who has reached three major singles finals, then played well in the final.

    But they couldn’t match the doubles prowess of the Italians, who won a second major title together at this year’s French Open. Vavassori, with his height and constant movement around the net, was a hard target to pass even for Swiatek and Ruud, two accurate ball strikers from the baseline.

    “I think in doubles we showed it’s very important know how to play doubles,” Errani said. “In doubles it’s not just serving good, hitting good, returning good. There are many other things that are not easy.”

    Errani is one of the most accomplished women’s doubles players ever, having won a career Grand Slam with former partner Roberta Vinci, along with the 2024 Olympic gold medal with Jasmine Paolini — who was in the crowd cheering after pulling out of this event after losing to Swiatek on Monday night in the Cincinnati final.

    Swiatek opted to stay in and shared $400,000 with Ruud — double what Errani and Vavassori earned for winning last year.

    Continue Reading

  • The Strad News – Fundraiser launched for Utah violinist detained by ICE

    The Strad News – Fundraiser launched for Utah violinist detained by ICE

    Read more news stories here

    A fundraiser has been launched to support Utah violinist John Shin, who has been detained by the United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).

    Shin’s wife, Danae Snow, has described the situation as ’urgent and frightening.’ Shin has a master’s degree in music performance from the University of Utah and has played with the Utah Symphony, Ballet West and in recording sessions.

    ’John has always worked hard to support our family and his mother, and he is deeply loved by our music community,’ Snow writes. 

    ’John’s sudden detention has left us scared and overwhelmed. We rely on him every day, and his absence has created a void that is felt by everyone who knows him.

    ’The legal process is expensive, and we need help to pay the retainer for his legal defense so that he has a fair chance to come home. Your support will help us fight for John’s release and bring him back to the life and community he cherishes.

    ’If John is able to return home, we can continue our loving, beautiful life together and finally find relief from the fear and stress that has taken over our days. Every contribution brings us closer to reuniting our family and restoring hope. Thank you for standing with us during this difficult time.’

    Snow aims to raise $28,000. As of 21 August, $16,653 has been raised.

    In 2014, Shin was a victim of theft when his violin, a Stradivari ’Viotti’ model made by Scott Brown in 2011, was stolen from the University of Utah’s School of Music. The violin was recovered two weeks later, in perfect cosmetic condition.

    View the fundraiser here.

    Best of Technique

    In The Best of Technique you’ll discover the top playing tips of the world’s leading string players and teachers. It’s packed full of exercises for students, plus examples from the standard repertoire to show you how to integrate the technique into your playing.

    Masterclass

    In the second volume of The Strad’s Masterclass series, soloists including James Ehnes, Jennifer Koh, Philippe Graffin, Daniel Hope and Arabella Steinbacher give their thoughts on some of the greatest works in the string repertoire. Each has annotated the sheet music with their own bowings, fingerings and comments.

    Calendars

    The Canada Council of the Arts’ Musical Instrument Bank is 40 years old in 2025. This year’s calendar celebrates some its treasures, including four instruments by Antonio Stradivari and priceless works by Montagnana, Gagliano, Pressenda and David Tecchler.

    Continue Reading

  • Nishikori withdraws from US Open, announces split with coach Johansson – ATP Tour

    1. Nishikori withdraws from US Open, announces split with coach Johansson  ATP Tour
    2. Nishikori withdraws from US Open due to back  ESPN
    3. Former US Open finalist confirms he’s withdrawing from this year’s event with injury  The Tennis Gazette
    4. Nishikori unexpectedly withdraws from US Open 2025: “I am working hard to come back”  Punto de Break
    5. U.S. Open 2025 — Kei Nishikori withdraws from tournament with back injury  Sportstar

    Continue Reading

  • Highland League bosses warn fans face bans over pyrtechnics use

    Highland League bosses warn fans face bans over pyrtechnics use

    Highland League bosses have warned fans against the use of pyrotechnics at the league’s grounds across north and north east Scotland.

    The board said it regretted having to issue the warning, but said flares, fireworks and smoke bombs had “no place” in football matches.

    It is a criminal offence to take or try to take a pyrotechnic into football matches, and they also pose safety risks.

    The Highland League said fans faced bans – and clubs financial consequences – should supporters bring the devices to games.

    The Highland League stretches from Caithness down to Aberdeenshire, and also includes Brechin in Angus.

    Pyrotechnics have become an increasingly common sight in Scottish football grounds in recent years, as well as on the continent.

    In November 2023, a match between Dundee and Rangers had to be paused for 18 minutes after Rangers fans let off flares in the stands.

    It let to a summit being held between clubs and the Football Safety Officers Association, Police Scotland, and the Scottish Government to discuss the issue.

    Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers previously said he hoped the threat of bans would make fans think twice before throwing pyrotechnics.

    The Scottish FA has since been granted powers to ban clubs from the Scottish Cup, however, chief executive Ian Maxwell insisted he wants to avoid that outcome.

    Continue Reading

  • Army chief did not seek apology over May 9, culprits should be held accountable, DG ISPR clarifies – Pakistan

    Army chief did not seek apology over May 9, culprits should be held accountable, DG ISPR clarifies – Pakistan

    Military spokesperson Lieutenant-General Ahmed Sharif Chaudhry clarified on Thursday that Chief of Army Staff (COAS) Field Marshal Asim Munir did not seek an apology from anyone over the May 9, 2023 riots, saying the perpetrators should be “held accountable”, Geo News reported.

    The remarks come days after it was reported that the army chief had sought an apology over the 2023 countrywide protests — apparently from the PTI, which the state holds responsible for the May 9 riots.

    Suhail Warraich, a senior editor for the Daily Jang newspaper, wrote in a column on August 16 that COAS Munir had spoken to him in person recently in Belgium’s capital of Brussels, where the army chief had stopped over on his return from his visit to the United States.

    “On a question about politics, he (the army chief) said that political reconciliation is possible only if there is a sincere apology,” the column read, without specifying who the army chief was referring to or who the question was about.

    “Neither did the army chief make any political statement in Brussels, nor did he mention any apology,” Geo News quoted Lt-Gen Chaudhry as saying today.

    Lt-Gen Chaudhry, the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) director general, was speaking to reporters after an event in Islamabad.

    The DG ISPR was further reported as saying that the army chief “did not say anything about the PTI”.

    Lt-Gen Chaudhry asserted: “May 9 is not only the military’s case but the nation’s case. It is clear that those who carried out the May 9 [riots], their enablers and planners should be held accountable as per the law.”

    “There were hundreds of people present at the Brussels event. Those attending the event had their pictures taken with the field marshal,” the DG ISPR noted.

    He also termed Pakistan a “country that changes the region’s destinies”, according to the report. “This is the reason why it is frequently attacked. The youth should understand the legacy and history of their ideological state,” he said.

    Following the report about the army chief’s Brussels talk, the PTI reiterated its demand for an empowered judicial commission to probe the May 9 riots, the November 26 protest incident, and the 2024 general elections.

    The military considers the PTI the “planners and architects” of the May 9 riots and, in May 2024, demanded an apology from PTI founder Imran Khan, who in turn claimed that the army owes an apology to him since he was “abducted” by the Rangers on May 9.

    However, days later, he offered to apologise on the condition that the involvement of PTI supporters in the violent protests was proved through CCTV evidence. Scores of PTI leaders have recently been convicted in cases over the riots and disqualified.

    Earlier this month, Coordinator to the Prime Minister on Commerce and Industries Rana Ihsaan Afzal said the government would be able to consider a pardon for Imran if he were to issue an apology for his “crimes”.

    In June, Imran’s sister Aleem Khan claimed that the ex-premier had been asked several times to apologise for the May 9 violent protests.

    Continue Reading

  • ULA making new efforts on Vulcan reusability

    ULA making new efforts on Vulcan reusability

    WASHINGTON — United Launch Alliance is leaning more into reusability as it advances work on recovering the engine section of the Vulcan rocket and embarks on another project.

    To continue reading this article:

    Register now and get
    3 free articles every month.

    You’ll also receive our weekly SpaceNews This Week newsletter every Friday. Opt-out at any time.

    Sign in to an existing account

    Get unlimited access to
    SpaceNews.com now.

    As low as $5 per week*

    Cancel anytime. Sales tax may apply. No refunds. (*Billed quarterly)

    See all subscription options

    Jeff Foust writes about space policy, commercial space, and related topics for SpaceNews. He earned a Ph.D. in planetary sciences from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and a bachelor’s degree with honors in geophysics and planetary science… More by Jeff Foust


    Continue Reading

  • Zong and Energy & Automation Pvt. Ltd. Partner to Launch Smart Energy Management Solutions

    Zong and Energy & Automation Pvt. Ltd. Partner to Launch Smart Energy Management Solutions

    Zong, Pakistan’s leading technology innovation company, has entered a strategic partnership with Energy & Automation Pvt. Ltd. (ENA) to launch an advanced suite of IoT-powered Smart Energy Management Solutions, marking a significant step in Zong’s evolution beyond traditional telecom services toward a broader role as a technology-driven service provider.

    The initiative directly supports Pakistan’s Digital transformation while advancing Zong’s sustainability pillar of Green & Low Carbon Operations.

    Zong’s IoT-powered Smart Energy Management Solution is designed to help corporates achieve cost savings, enhance operational efficiency, and meet sustainability goals. For the banking industry in particular, the solution enables real-time monitoring and intelligent control of air conditioning systems in branches and ATM enclosures, ensuring optimal performance, energy efficiency, and uninterrupted customer service.

    The intelligent system offers early fault detection to prevent downtime and reduce power consumption. For manufacturing, hospitality, and public sector clients, it provides real-time energy analytics, remote surveillance, uptime tracking, and automated temperature regulation, improving comfort while minimizing energy wastage. By integrating energy monitoring with intelligent automation, the solution optimizes performance, reduces costs, and supports sustainability objectives across diverse sectors.

    Speaking at the ceremony, Farooq Raza, Head of Business Solutions, Zong, said: “Through this strategic partnership, we’re delivering next-generation Smart Energy Management Solutions that combine Zong’s IoT leadership with intelligent automation to transform how businesses optimize energy consumption. These solutions are enablers for Pakistan’s digital economy; providing enterprises with real-time operational intelligence to drive efficiency, reduce costs, and build sustainable infrastructure aligned with both national climate goals and global ESG standards.”

    This collaboration brings together Zong’s advanced IoT connectivity and ENA’s expertise in automation to deliver practical, scalable energy solutions across Pakistan.


    Continue Reading

  • L’Oréal’s strength stands out amid softer sector outlook: UBS By Investing.com – Investing.com Nigeria

    1. L’Oréal’s strength stands out amid softer sector outlook: UBS By Investing.com  Investing.com Nigeria
    2. Global beauty firms look to carve up Indian market as ‘last bastion’ of growth  Reuters
    3. Why Estee Lauder, L’Oreal and Shiseido are betting big on India  Inside Retail Asia
    4. Next stop Bharat: Why global luxury brands are betting big on India  Hotelier India
    5. Cosmax Enters Indian Market, Plans Mumbai Subsidiary  Businesskorea

    Continue Reading

  • Perpetrators of 9th May will have to face law: DG ISPR – RADIO PAKISTAN

    1. Perpetrators of 9th May will have to face law: DG ISPR  RADIO PAKISTAN
    2. Rebutting rumours  Dawn
    3. Field Marshal Munir made no remarks on PTI, politics in Brussels: DG ISPR  Geo.tv
    4. ‘We showed mercy to Afghans but they joined hands with India’; Asim Munir’s open threat to Afghan government,  India.Com
    5. Army Chief Neither Gave Any Interview Nor Spoke of Apology: DG ISPR  SUCH TV

    Continue Reading

  • lululemon athletica inc. Announces Second Quarter Fiscal 2025 Earnings Conference Call

    lululemon athletica inc. Announces Second Quarter Fiscal 2025 Earnings Conference Call

    VANCOUVER, British Columbia–(BUSINESS WIRE)–
    lululemon athletica inc. (NASDAQ: LULU) today announced that its financial results for the second quarter fiscal 2025 will be released Thursday, September 4, 2025. The company will host a conference call at 4:30 p.m. Eastern time to discuss the financial results.

    If you would like to participate in the call, please dial (833) 752-3550 or (647) 846-8290, if calling internationally, approximately 10 minutes prior to the start of the call.

    A live webcast of the conference call will be available online at: https://corporate.lululemon.com/investors/news-and-events/events-and-presentations. A replay will be made available online approximately 2 hours following the live call.

    About lululemon athletica inc.

    lululemon athletica inc. (NASDAQ:LULU) is a technical athletic apparel, footwear, and accessories company for yoga, running, training, and most other activities, creating transformational products and experiences that build meaningful connections, unlocking greater possibility and wellbeing for all. Setting the bar in innovation of fabrics and functional designs, lululemon works with yogis and athletes in local communities around the world for continuous research and product feedback. For more information, visit lululemon.com.

    Investors:

    lululemon athletica inc.

    Howard Tubin

    1-604-732-6124

    or

    ICR, Inc.

    Joseph Teklits

    1-203-682-8200

    Media:

    lululemon athletica inc.

    Madi Wallace

    1-604-732-6124

    Source: lululemon athletica inc.

    Continue Reading